Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sharing for a blog challenge

For this weeks blog challenge, I had three options to choose from. Being that I had a really full week and weekend, I have to admit, I chose the easiest of the three! Bad me, I know.

What I want to do for my blog challenge, is share a blog that I follow and tell my readers why I follow it, do a "review" on it, and tell you why I think you should read this particular blog. For me this is an easy choice.

I have a friend who first brought my attention to blogging. She would tell me about blogs that she followed, people she would read about on a daily and weekly basis, bloggers that she felt she knew, just by reading about their lives. I have to tell you, I thought it was great of her to be that involved with these bloggers. Knowing what kind of person she is, I was not surprised in the least that she was feeling compassion for some of the trials and tribulations she read about in the blogs. I just didn't think I could get the same satisfaction from reading a blog.

Then one day, I thought I would try it. I read a few, but nothing really peaked my interest. I have all sorts of interests and so I randomly starting reading craft, gardening, writing, parenting blogs and so on. I became a subscriber to a parenting blog, that was all about writing your own "momior". To this day I still subscribe to it, and I learn all the time, from what other moms write. It validates for me that I myself can write those types of stories, and it reminds me every time I read one of the posts, that I have compassion for moms and what stories they have to tell. Basically meaning that often it moves me to tears!

So after all of that, the blog that I want to review and recommend is Enjoying the Small Things at www.kellhampton.com. I am not sure how I even came across her blog to be honest, I just know I subscribed to it. I didn't have the option of having it delivered to my e mail, so I found myself logging on to her blog every day, sometimes multiple times per day.

I love Kelle's blog for many reasons. What I first loved about her blog, that kept me going further and further, were her photographs. I can't take great pictures, but I love photography and I love to look at pictures that are well taken. Kelle is a mother, a photographer, a wife, looks to be a fun friend and I imagine so much more. As I continued to read her blog, I learned that one of her children was born with Down Syndrome. This also kept me coming back for more.

I think Kelle is a good writer and I love her play on words and her seamless flow of a writing style. This, as well as all of her photos makes her blog an interesting read. She lives in Florida, so I can also live vicariously through her and dream of being at the beach and picking carrots from the garden in April. Really? Yes, well they can. They can have picnics, walk on the beach, go swimming in April, while here in Manitoba, we just want the snow to melt!

For the past few years, I have had trouble sleeping and Kelle's blog has often kept me company late at night when I was unable to sleep. One night I decided to read way back in her blog to learn about her daughters birth story, the daughter that was born with Down Syndrome. I did not expect to cry the way I did! I mean, I don't even know these people right? That night is when I learned the power of the Internet, the power of blogging, the power of sharing our stories and the power of just plain connecting with each other.


That is when I decided to start my own blog. I have two blogs. In one I share my crafting, my baking, and cooking. If you wish, you may check it out at www.apinchofcreativity.blogspot.com and the other is this one. I know that Enjoying the Small Things is not for everyone, just like I know Moments in Time with Tannis is not for everyone. What I do know, is that we all write about things that will touch someone, help even one person to feel less lonely, more loved, more connected, learn something new, and maybe even make someone smile! I know, that I have already connected with other parents I don't know. I have connected with parents that have children with learning disabilities, parents who home school or want to home school their children. I know that I will inspire someone out there to take a chance on their child and learn to teach them on their own when the schools are failing them. Reading Kelle's blog helped me to see that people do read blogs, they can be moved to tears, they can learn something from reading the things we bloggers write.

So there you have it! I suggest you go check out her blog today, and then come back to my blog and tell me if I was right or wrong to recommend her!

As always, thanks so much for reading.

Tannis

1 comment:

  1. Hey! This is such a great idea for a post/challenge.

    I'm just stopping by to say hi and follow you as part of your blog club. :) I hope you have an awesome weekend!

    Helen from Bettencourt Chase
    bettencourtchase.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete