Friday, March 2, 2012

Your Bitterness Momentarily Burst My Bubble

Have you ever met someone who is full of biterness, gives a fake smile when they do decide to smile, and generally is just a bit negative and miserable? Do you let them affect you in a negative way? It momentarily happened to me last week, and I hate that I let it take the shine away from something that should have gone completely different.

It is no secret to alot of people who know me, that I love to write, I love to be creative. I write many things, and have many different avenues for expressing myself. I blog, I journal, I submit writings online to forums, guest blog posts. I take writing courses, join writing groups, and I submit and share poetry online as well.

What I really want to do, is be published in a magazine. I love magazines, and I would love to one day go to a magazine rack, and see my story published in print, in a magazine I love. This is not easy to do if you are just starting out, if you have never officially been published before, in print. Sometimes online writing counts, sometimes not. The editing process is what counts.

I have said it before, but this leaves me feeling like a fourteen year old girl who is looking for her first job, but no one will hire me without experience. Then I ask myself, well how can I get experience if no one gives me a chance!

We have a small community newspaper here in Winnipeg, each area has their own publication. I was advised to try and get myself published into that small paper, as somewhere to start. And so I did!

I sent in a story, he liked it, he printed it. Only I didn't know when it was going to be printed. I got a phone call from someone who I know as an aquaintence of a friend of mine. She read my article, was upset about what I had said, and thought she would call to....I am not sure. Perhaps she intended to ask me a question, or complain, or accuse me of something. It ended up just being a conversation, and I am happy with the way it turned out. The kicker is, she read it online, and I didn't even know it was going to be in print that day.

So here it is, I finally got something in print, and I let her take away my joy for having done that. I didn't have the heart to tell her that what I wrote (volunteering being an important part of our community), was not even something I was passionate about! I only wrote it as a topic to get into print. I suppose I could tell myself that it must have been good enough to come across as being something I was passionate about. It could also be that it hit a nerve with her. Either way, does that mean that it was well written?

Normally I would have sent an e mail to my friends, posted the link on my facebook, and shared my excitement, asking them to share in it with me as well. Instead, because of her phone call, I was aware that people in my community may have been offended with the truthfulness of my article, I decided not to do that.

I have no regrets for what I wrote, it was the truth. I am proud for having taken the chance to submit something to a stranger, having no idea if it was even good or not. It also gave me the high to just keep on writing and submiting and being ok with the fact that people won't always like what I have to say, they may not share my opinions, but in the end, I am writing, and that is the one thing I do JUST for me.

If you would like to see what I wrote, please take a look here at this link , and if you do read it, thank you for taking the time!

Have a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment